7-9 March 2016 – UNFPA hosted a three-day regional convening of approximately 40 researchers, thought leaders, experts and activists in Abuja, Nigeria. The objectives of this Regional Leadership Summit on the African Demographic Dividend were to:
- Discuss the pathway for an African DD and develop a research and advocacy agenda going forward.
- Strengthen the emerging African platform on DD whereby stakeholders can share DD-related research, new data, programmatic outputs and policy activities.
- Foster South-South and triangular cooperation between African universities, activists, UNFPA, other UN agencies, the African Union, ECA, WEF/GAC members, and other potential partners, including donors.
- Discuss the role of young people on the DD discourse, and highlight new forms of engagement.
- Mobilize resources for work on the DD in Africa.